Saturday, April 9, 2011

i like movies which are windows into other worlds, worlds existing on the very same planet I am

mum and I watched The Syrian Bride this evening (it's a movie). my thoughts....i do not know....how is it that peace and violence, freedom and political corruptness coexist is our world? One planet yet so many different lives led. I have been blessed with so much. from freedom of choice, a roof over my head, a loving family, a political system although much complained about, does not cause me to live in fear for me and my family's safety, to running water, a bed, even a piano.

This film was definitely saying something. Yes, it was an interesting insight into a another culture, but it was also something more. A statement of brave women moving forward, taking their lives into their own hands the best they could within their personal, cultural, religious and political situation. I admire them so very much.

And my question is what can I do? is there anything I, a 21yr old girl living in western society, can do? we are a blessed society...is there anything we as a whole can do? Generally when we try, we go about it in the wrong way (referring to military occupation). Is it possible for man to work it out? When I say 'it' I refer to all this political, cultural and religious strife and corruption that has been playing out for centuries. Is it a case of 'let Them work it out for themselves'? where is the line between helping others and letting a nation solve it's own problems? Can they be solved by mankind? will our helping make it worse? Are they problems that can not be healed? Do we simply stand by, living the only life we have ever known? we have so much service to give within our own communities that we could go our whole life helping others without even addressing those in other nations. We weren't blessed with so much just to squander it and keep it for ourselves. so many questions. no right or wrong answer? no answer at all?

I may not know much but I trust in my God. I have other thoughts on this matter but for now I shall prepare for the Sabbath. I know peace can be found in all places and situations. Perhaps for some it only can be nurtured and found within the smallest corner of the heart, but if we ask, we shall find peace in one of its many forms. A peace, no man nor money can bestow. Ask and ye shall receive.

No comments: