Tuesday, July 21, 2009

For a Mr J. Neville,

It feels so incredibly wonderful to be able to collapse on a bed and do nothing.

Today has been good, yet hectic. Task 1: Babysitting. My girls and I used our faces as canvases-paint transforming us into tribal warriors, Harry Potter, raving footy fans and of course grand philosophers/circus ringmasters with our curly moustaches and complementary goatees. (my face feels raw from all the scrubbing we had to do to remove the paint...)(but it was so worth it). [If you have never had your face covered in paint, put it on your to-do-before-you-die list.][and yes I know this is an abuse of brackets/parenthesis/whatever you call them them]

Task 2: English Tutoring. First imagine what a seal/squeaky old lady who's been a chain smoker her whole life sounds like. That was me at the beginning of the day. Now add babysitting and talking nonstop for 3 hours about Virginia Woolf, contexts, time, representation, comparative studies etc. to that voice and you have me right now. I think I may have laryngitis. Anyway....having to help someone structure an essay/get their head around a book and play (neither of which I have read) for their hsc english trials (curse you board of studies for changing the syllabus on me! I would've been all knowing!!!!! and a lot more helpful) has apart from been draining on my voice, has renewed my love for english-for finding all those hidden links and connections...putting the pieces together....and then when it all clicks into place...Although I now have 'who's afraid of Virginia Woolf' (the song) repeating over and over in my head. The same one line over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over etc.

Task 3: Straightening Boo's hair. A simple yet time consuming task. That is all I have to say on the matter. That and I didn't burn her (although I did accidently poke her in the eye. But she's ok now and happy with her straight hair).

And now I have time all to myself. No little brothers running around. No sister mocking my seal voice. No parents reminding me of work and chores that should've been done. Peace, quiet and Molly the dog. I can read, blog, sleep, do whatever...

What am I reading at the moment? I am reading books which when read will free me to read the books I truly feel like reading. They are: 1) The Second Sun by Chris Stewart 2) the end of Eldest (I gave up 2 years ago but a friend has convinced me to finish it). Normally I read what I feel like when I feel like it. But these books have been lent to me for a long time (I do want to read them just not as much as the others) and I need to return them. I'd like a new start to the semester and so am aiming to be free by the end of the week. When I am freed I plan to return to Tolstoy, start Wizard of Earthsea, Dickens....maybe throw in Harry Potter 6. Who knows. I like reading books which whisper, echo, parallel my life at the moment in some form or shape. I've just finished The Secret Garden F. Hodgson Burnett and loved it. It was so simple and beautiful and perfect to be read in the winter sun. I can't wait till I can read it out loud to my (future) kids. In fact I can't wait until I can read anything out loud without my voice breaking and squeaking and running away. Q(for either now or another time): why is bukowski your favourite author?

No I do not have Facebook. Why not is a common question I hear. I'm still tossing up over wether to get it or not. There have been many people who have tried their persuading powers on me but if or when I get facebook it shall be my own decision and not sucumbing to peer pressure. I do not have anything against facebook (I actually think it's a great idea/concept) but I know it could become quite time consuming for me and I do not want to live my life infront of a screen no matter how much good can come of it. We shall see...I have to work some stuff out within before I enter the world of facebook. So for now it shall just have to be sms, email, snail mail or face to face contact.

Now you see why it has taken me so long to reply. Get well soon,

-ess the squeaking smoking seal

No comments: