Thursday, January 15, 2009

6am

I had forgotten what 6 o'clock in the morning was like. I can't believe I'd been missing out on this glorious time of morning for the past 2 weeks. Early this morning I drove my family (minus my lil sister) to the sand dunes. I had first been introduced to them last week by Jacspi and decided to share the experience with my parents and little brothers. Yesterday the idea had been repulsed, torn down, stamped on and screamed at. Today little boys rubbing sleep from their eyes were more open and less hostile (a big thankyou to a good night's sleep!) As I drove in the early morning sun, my dad in the front, my mama reading The Fellowship of the Ring to my half awake brothers, I was able to observe the early morning life stirring in our local neighbourhood. No longer am I going to sleep in, even to a comfortable 7.30. 6 o'clock is the best time ever created and I shall be awake to see it.

At the sand dunes mama and I took photos while Papa walked and the boys collected rocks and shells. I have decided, a decision made all the way back at Port, that I want to live right near the beach. Close enough to run/walk every morning or at least a 5 or 10 min drive. There is a peace which exists there with the early fishermen, surfers and beach walkers. Wether it be photos, mediation, swimming, running, etc, one is able to forget the world, discover the simple things in life and become closer to who they're meant to be. Despite the salt and sand coating your body, you always feel clean walking away from the water, through the sand and back to your car. Refreshed for a new day or even life. It washes the stress away and gives you the strength to face the oncoming day head on. My family has never been a beach family and so it is only now in my own travels and thanks to some great friends that I have found this love.







3 comments:

jacspi said...

Mmm, it's been a while since I last saw shadows stretched that long to the west. Sounds like it was good fun - now we'll have to go scouting for other places!! :^)

Hmm... actually, there is this one place... tell me, do you like swing bridges and waterholes? (you'll want to take your camera to this place.) :^)

Get me to take you there, next time. :^)

Threads of Light said...

I didn't know what we were missing out on, not being a beach family; maybe because I'd never truly seen the quiet side of where the ocean meets the land. Thanks to Ess and Jacspi both :)

GGG said...

Understand how you felt. I get my renewal in the bush - gentle breezes, magpies warbling, leaves gently rustling, and, if you are lucky, the glimpse of a wary euro or emu or even a wedgetail high above. The endless landscape, fascinating rock formations, and incredible 'treasures' hiding so close to the ground (sometimes part of it). I love the sea, but I HATE sand between my toes.
When mama was little we would sometimes go down for a swim very early (they would, I was the towel holder and rub-er-down-er)but the peace was incredible.