Monday, January 12, 2009

It is a truth universally acknowledged...

There is a little green hardback novel with a crescent water stain on its cover, sharing a cushion with with my left elbow. We have become good friends, the book and I, but I was not the first. At least 6 others before me have(using pen and ink)signed their name and titles(though how truthful they were I know not) on those blank pages which proceed the title page. 1953 appears to be the earliest date attached to a name.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I never realised how witty an author she was. They way she crafts words together is brilliant. I was raised on the 5 hour BBC production and reading the book was just as good as watching the series. Both book and tv show shed light on each other, illuminating and developing the characters to the fullest. I cannot wait to read more of her books along with Charles Dickens, George Eliot, Elizabeth Glaskell, just to name a few.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
indi said...

<3 Charles Dickens. At least, I love him after reading his 'A Christmas Carol'. I really want to read more of his work.

Sis also says Hi